<  General tips and tricks  ~  Wireless Midi

JR
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:42 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
I remember paccer asked about this

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw12_artikel-109032.html
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw12_artikel-108766.html
http://www.midiworks.ca/products/midijet.asp?gclid=CO-au-S3t4sCFTwHQgodeA7X2w

Coool... now what would the benefits of this item be? (besides the fact that you save space on the cables) ... You can you jam with the guys in the studio from the john!!!

The m-audio is mad cheap, but i will never touch a m-audio product again. Not after my useless 2000kr firewire soundcard purchase a year ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Peter Z
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote
Level 4 freak (novice) Level 4 freak (novice)
your 2000 dkr beer opener Wink
Peter Z
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
but still its only for two midi-devices!
rawclaw
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
Peter Z wrote:
but still its only for two midi-devices!

What are u saying peter ?? who told you that ?!?!
You can attach lots of midi hardware to the two inputs..
Just do some midi channel routing
Peter Z
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
dont mind me!
headphone inc.
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Level 3 freak (rookie) Level 3 freak (rookie)
Peter Z wrote:
dont mind me!

and me too
JR
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
HAha peter n00b Smile Smile Smile

but hey someone tell me to benefits of this device... have a hard time seing it. It sounds cool... but how cool irl?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Peter Z
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I ment done you have to have some wireles antenas or something from all the midi devices?
JR
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
Peter Z wrote:
I ment done you have to have some wireles antenas or something from all the midi devices?

you have the master that collects midi data from the client(s)... the client being a wireless midi box that can collect midi for whatever device you plug in ... lets say a drum-machine. If the client only have one midi port, you can plug another device lets say a sampler in the drummachines midi input, and use the drummachine as a thru device. In therory this could be done as a endless chain. But more midi ports on the wireless midi client device is desireable because older gear COULD fuck up the midi thru. Or if the master device supports it, more wireless cleints (dunno if it is possible to rig it up with multiple cleints)
rawclaw
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
JR wrote:
In therory this could be done as a endless chain.)

Nope, if you would use midi channels for midi routing you only have 16 channels = 16 devices (+more if you route the same channel to more devices - but then they play the same notes and events) You will need some midi outboard that all the devices connect to and connect the outboard to the wireless device.. I think...
JR wrote:

But more midi ports on the wireless midi client device is desireable because older gear COULD fuck up the midi thru.

The midi protokol only fucks up if you have lots of devices in a dasy chain.. (The signal suffers from asymmetry due to the opto-isolator distorting the signal with each item in the chain. But daisy chain cant be used for midi inputs...)
Or if you send more midi events than the seq can handle..
Just like I did with ur rm1x Laughing
JR
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
rawclaw wrote:
JR wrote:
In therory this could be done as a endless chain.)

Nope, if you would use midi channels for midi routing you only have 16 channels = 16 devices (+more if you route the same channel to more devices - but then they play the same notes and events) You will need some midi outboard that all the devices connect to and connect the outboard to the wireless device.. I think...

OK, 16 is close to endless in this example cause you will never need that many... but yeah you're right

rawclaw wrote:

JR wrote:

But more midi ports on the wireless midi client device is desireable because older gear COULD fuck up the midi thru.

The midi protokol only fucks up if you have lots of devices in a dasy chain.. (The signal suffers from asymmetry due to the opto-isolator distorting the signal with each item in the chain. But daisy chain cant be used for midi inputs...)
Just like I did with ur rm1x Laughing

You confuse me a bit... i can see you copy pasted from wikipedia Smile

wikipedia.org wrote:
MIDI devices are usually designed to be wired in a daisy chain. It is normal for a device to have both an OUT port and a THRU port and often both can be used for chaining. The OUT port gives a completely regenerated signal and may add, remove, or change messages, but introduces some delay in doing so. The THRU port provides a minimally delayed (only electrical amplification and opto-isolation) copy of the signal but suffers from asymmetry due to the opto-isolator distorting the signal with each item in the chain. If the chain is long enough, it will be distorted so much that the system will become unreliable or completely non-functional. Due to the above issues with both types of chaining, a variety of MIDI devices that take one input and split it to many outputs have appeared on the market.
rawclaw
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
You probably don't get it because you're midi noob and since you dont know how to do a search and try and understand that simple protokol (midi)
I write u a simple explanation..
My advise would be>> stop by and I'll teach you, or stfu and read with your own eyes..
Use google for that.. Rolling Eyes
rawclaw
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
JR wrote:

i can see you copy pasted from wikipedia Smile

Yeh could be, or maby thats just what happens? Or is it something else messing with the the signal, when you do long daisy chain??
Please correct me if im wrong when i wrote>
rawclaw wrote:
JR
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Site Admin
you're not wrong when wikipedia says EXACTLY the same. So i won't correct you. But you know your stuff, i'll give you that. I just think you should use quote when you copy-paste something, and not take the credit for terms like this: "asymmetry due to the opto-isolator" <----- and plz explain this if you like... i won't do a search on it cause it's probably basic electronics knowledge, and i don't really give a shit.

And why am i a midi n00b and can't search? i found the piece you quoted... that's pretty leet if you ask me. You got busted!

Makes you wonder if the rawclaw profile is really just a bot that quotes stuff and throws a fuck, gay and n00b in where possible ... HA HA HA

but hey, lets just measure our dicks and get it settled once and for all... i win. Mine is 99999699999 inches!!!!

To the bat-mobile!!!
headphone inc.
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Level 3 freak (rookie) Level 3 freak (rookie)
im in for the measure dick thing-----------------------my dick is extreme small some call it minimal Shocked